zaterdag 10 maart 2012

Still Sundayeve


Although surprised to see Mech, Garyl let him in anyway. Not much later they sat on her couch, sipping mocha coffee, and for a moment no one said anything. Garyl’s thoughts became a whirl in her head. She had to think about Adras, and the whole wolf-thing, yet here she was, drinking coffee with a friend she hadn’t spoken to in a while.
“So… how’s school?”
 Mech lifted a shoulder and dropped it again. “Same as usual, I guess. Not much going on lately and it’s quite boring without having you around.”
“Me? What –why?”
“Well… you always say something to a teacher what can make him explode, or start a debate that in fact ís interesting. Just the way you are… You really are a special girl, Garyl.”
She blushed, thought she felt little for Mech beside friendship. “Why- thank you,” she softly said.
And again silence crept over them, holding them in its grip for as long as it takes.
“Mech,” Garyl began, hesitantly.
“Hm?”
“Can I... I was thinking-..” she sighed. “Can I ask you something? As in... You won’t tell anyone, yet you’ll answer it truly?”
“Of course. What’s on your mind?” With a serious look on his face, Mech bended over.
Garyl played with the ruffles of her shirt a while, before she dared to ask.
“What… what do you think of Adras? Do you think that he really is my brother?”
He released a sigh as he leaned back on the couch. “So that is bothering you? Really? Why?”
“You know that homework piece we had to do about our family? I don’t know… It made me thinking. And of course Adras is nowhere near... So I just made something up. But I can’t get it out of my mind.” Her dark eyes glared at him. He didn’t know that she was telling him some lies, for she had told him many lies before this one. What else could she say? Hello, oh by the way, my brother is a werewolf? Ehr- no will do.
“I don’t know, Garyl. I mean, he didn’t really liked me so we never talked much. He seemed always so protective around you; it gave me the creeps, honestly. He somehow didn’t fit the picture quite well. So, if you’re saying he’s not your brother, yeah, I can believe it... There’s really something weird-isch with that dude, I’m telling ye!”
Whatever Garyl might have expected, the harsh reaction of Mech was not really on her top three.
“The one thing you can do is ask him yourself…”
He said it with such an ease that for a moment Garyl couldn’t believe that they were friends. Could he not see how this whole situation made her feel? Her eyes darkened and she drank the last of her coffee.
“Let me get you some more,” Mech offered and Garyl let him be.
He came back and gave her the cup, yet he waited till she met his gaze. “Garyl... I’m sorry if I... was a bit of an asshole... It’s just... Adras and I... we just can’t get along.”
She nodded. “Yeah,” she responded. “I know, and understand... it’s just harsh, you know?”

They drank some more and talked for a couple of hours, till Garyl was yawning and with a sly smile Mech stood up and left her, wishing her ‘sweet dreams’.

He got out and walked away, but not towards home, he had some business to attend to. In the centre of the city he found the man, just as he had promised Mech.
“Is it done?” the deep, dark voice came towards him, though the man hadn’t looked in his direction yet.
“Yes, I put it in her coffee, just as you asked me to.”
“Good,” the man nodded and pushed himself from the stone wall he was leaning on.
“Wait! You’d promised me…”
The man now turned towards Mech and let out a soft chuckle. “You really thought I would give you your sister back? No... She stays with me; until I’m sure you did what you had to.”
Then he turned again and with two steps he had disappeared in the dark night.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten